Tift Merritt with Ben Weaver
“Beautiful...moving”— The New Yorker
“[Merritt has a] gift for intimate, fragile songwriting.”—Pitchfork
The Cedar welcomes back stunning singer-songwriter Tift Merritt for an intimate concert a few days after the release of her latest opus Traveling Alone (Yep Roc, Oct 2 2012). The album was recorded in Brooklyn with Tucker Martine (The Decemberists, My Morning Jacket, Spoon, Laura Veirs) and features a guest appearance by Andrew Bird and well as performances by Marc Ribot, Rob Burger (Lucinda Williams, Iron & Wine, Rufus Wainwright), John Convertino (Calexico), Eric Heywood (The Jayhawks, Son Volt, Alejandro Escovedo) and Merritt’s longtime collaborator Jay Brown.
“I really wanted to make a record that was real and raw,” notes Merritt. “I wanted to put together my dream cast and see if I could hold my own with them.” She goes on, “To me, Traveling Alone is about the roads on the inside—those places that are hard to see and not easy to send postcards from.”
Backwoods renaissance man and singer-songwriter Ben Weaver opens.
The Cedar is now air-conditioned for your year-round comfort!
Ticket options and info
- On sale date: now
- Phone: 612-338-2674 ext 2 ($2 fee per ticket)
- In person: From a Cedar volunteer in the front lobby during events (no fee; cash, check, credit card), Depth of Field (no fee; cash or check only), or Electric Fetus (small fee)
- Online: Ticketweb (fees apply) (click on red Buy Tickets button at top of this page)
- The Cedar is an all ages. venue
- Students with ID, seniors over 65, and children under 12 may purchase tickets at a discount at the door.
This activity is made possible in part by a grant provided by the Minnesota State Arts Board, through an appropriation by the Minnesota State Legislature from the Minnesota arts and cultural heritage fund with money from the vote of the people of Minnesota on November 4, 2008, and a grant from the Wells Fargo Foundation Minnesota.