José James presents No Beginning No End with DJ Brian Engel of Hipshaker
The rawness is daring, and James has an unconventional vocal style, a deep baritone that’s soft and elegant and at times haunting – like a male Billie Holiday, a darker Lou Rawls or in a lot of ways a human adaptation of Coltrane’s sax work. (Chris Riemenschneider, Star Tribune)
“I thought singers like this didn’t exist anymore, I was wrong, José James is here to remind us why we love music so much!” (Gilles Peterson, BBC Radio 1)
Soulful Minneapolis-born singer and composer José James presents music from his new album No Beginning No End (1/22/2013, Blue Note Records) in an intimate homecoming concert.
Funkmeister DJ Brian Engel of Hipshaker opens.
Ticket options and info
- On sale date: now
- Phone: 612-338-2674 ext 0 between 12 noon and 4pm ($2 fee per ticket)
- In person: From a Cedar volunteer in the front lobby during events (no fee; cash, check, credit card), Depth of Field (no fee; cash or check only), or Electric Fetus (approximately $2 fee)
- Online: Ticketweb (typically $2--$3 fee/ticket) (click on red Buy Tickets button at top of this page)
- The Cedar is an all ages venue
- Students with ID, seniors over 65, and children under 12 may purchase tickets at a discount at the door.
This activity is made possible in part by a grant provided by the Minnesota State Arts Board, through an appropriation by the Minnesota State Legislature from the Minnesota arts and cultural heritage fund with money from the vote of the people of Minnesota on November 4, 2008, and a grant from the Wells Fargo Foundation Minnesota.