No strangers to the Cedar stage, the brilliant musicians of Irish-American band Solas return! The group has brought their Shamrock City project to a successful conclusion, with a new album to be released Feb 5, 2013.
Shamrock City tells the story of Butte, MT, a mining town at the turn of the 20th century, as seen through the eyes of an Irish immigrant and Seamus' great-great uncle, Michael Conway. In 1910 he sailed from Cobh, Co. Cork in Ireland to Philadelphia and then made his way to Butte to work in the copper mines. Six years later, at the young age of 25, he was dead from a blow to the head. With audio recorded in Philadelphia and film footage in Butte, Shamrock City seeks to not only uncover the life and young death of Conway, but to also illuminate life as an immigrant during the Industrial Revolution.
Founders Seamus Egan (flute, tenor banjo, mandolin, whistle, guitar and bodhran), and Winifred Horan (fiddle) will be joined by Mick McAuley from Kilkenny (accordion and concertina), Eamon McElholm from Tyrone (guitar and keyboards), and the group's newest member, vocalist Niamh Varian-Barry.
The Cedar is now air-conditioned for your year-round comfort!
Ticket options and info
- On sale date: now
- Phone: 612-338-2674 ext 0 between 12 noon and 4pm M-F ($2 fee per ticket)
- In person: From a Cedar volunteer in the front lobby during events (no fee; cash, check, credit card), Depth of Field (no fee; cash or check only), or Electric Fetus (small fee)
- Online: Ticketweb (fees apply) (click on red Buy Tickets button at top of this page)
- The Cedar is an all ages venue
- Students with ID, seniors over 65, and children under 12 may purchase tickets at a discount at the door.