The Handsome Family with AZITA
Words that in their everyday surrealism have no parallel in contemporary writing… Music that mines the deep veins of fatalism in the Appalachian voice. (Greil Marcus)
As songwriters it’s the eerie, ancestral voice of ‘Anonymous’ they ultimately resemble the most. (The Chicago Reader).
This is music that moves forward by turning the clock back—haunting, primal and strangely heroic. (The Times (UK))
Alt country duo The Handsome Family (Brett and Rennie Sparks) return to The Cedar with brand new album Wilderness, featuring a menagerie of animals (frogs, flies, wildebeest, octopuses, lizards) that in lyricist Rennie Sparks’ hands become intertwined with true stories of Stephen Foster’s death in a Bowery flophouse, General Custer’s shiny boots as he lay dead on a Montana prairie and the capture of Mary Sweeney, the Wisconsin Window Smasher of 1896. Darkly beautiful, and a unique vision from modern-day American Gothics.
Avant songstress AZITA opens.
Ticket options and info
- On sale date: now
- Phone: 612-338-2674 ext 0 between 12 noon and 4pm ($2 fee per ticket)
- In person: From a Cedar volunteer in the front lobby during events (no fee; cash, check, credit card), Depth of Field (no fee; cash or check only), or Electric Fetus (approximately $2 fee)
- Online: Ticketweb (typically $2--$3 fee/ticket) (click on red Buy Tickets button at top of this page)
- The Cedar is an all ages venue
- Students with ID, seniors over 65, and children under 12 may purchase tickets at a discount at the door.