"Kobo Town brings Neil Young's angst and Jerry Dammers's instincts to traditional calypso themes. A pithy combination of social commentary, dubwise soca, and calypsonian wit." -- The Village Voice
"Merging calypso, roots reggae, acoustic performance, dub studio techniques and Trinidadian/Jamaican cultures, Kobo Town is a unique, stylistic, trans-national composite of rhythm, poetry and activist journalism. Kobo Town resurrects, reinvigorates and redefines calypso for the new millennium." -- Exclaim!
From Trinidad via Toronto, Kobo Town takes the intricate wordplay of classic Caribbean music and runs it through a 21st Century filter. In the world of Kobo Town calypso, roots reggae, and acoustic instrumentation meet innovative production techniques by the hand of Ivan Duran (Andy Palacio), social commentary and indie rock energy.
This summer, keep your cool inside at the newly air-conditioned Cedar!
Ticket options and info
- On sale date: noon Fri Aug 2
- Phone: 612-338-2674 ext 0 between 12 noon and 4pm ($2 fee per ticket)
- In person: From a Cedar volunteer in the front lobby during events (no fee; cash, check, credit card), Depth of Field (no fee; cash or check only), or Electric Fetus (approximately $2 fee)
- Online: Ticketweb (typically $2--$3 fee/ticket) (click on red Buy Tickets button at top of this page)
- The Cedar is an all ages venue
- Students with ID, seniors over 65, and children under 12 may purchase tickets at a discount at the door.