Julia Holter with Nedelle Torrisi
LA chamber pop artist Julia Holter makes her Cedar debut on tour behind her third album Loud City Song, the follow-up to Ekstasis (2012), and Tragedy (2011). Loud City Song uses a classic literary reference – Colette’s 1944 novella Gigi – as a prism through which Holter is able to explore her own perspective on modern life. In this instance, she explores her own feelings about the superficial celebrity-obsessed contemporary media through a prism of the tale of the young Gigi being unwittingly groomed for a career as a courtesan in gossipy turn-of-the-century Paris. Over the course of the nine songs on Loud City Song, Holter projects the story of Gigi on to modern day LA, navigating its strangeness, beauty and madness from a number of perspectives and vantage points in incredibly evocative fashion.
Opening tonight will be Nedelle Torrisi, a collaborator with Sufjan Stevens and Julia Holter, and now releasing her solo debut (self-titled) in September 2013.
Ticket options and info
- On sale date: now
- Phone: 612-338-2674 ext 0 between 12 noon and 4pm ($2 fee per ticket)
- In person: From a Cedar volunteer in the front lobby during events (no fee; cash, check, credit card), Depth of Field (no fee; cash or check only), or Electric Fetus (approximately $2 fee)
- Online: Ticketweb (typically $2--$3 fee/ticket) (click on red Buy Tickets button at top of this page)
- The Cedar is an all ages venue
- Students with ID, seniors over 65, and children under 12 may purchase tickets at a discount at the door.
This activity is made possible in part by a grant provided by the Minnesota State Arts Board, through an appropriation by the Minnesota State Legislature from the Minnesota arts and cultural heritage fund with money from the vote of the people of Minnesota on November 4, 2008, and a grant from the Wells Fargo Foundation Minnesota.