Chelsea Wolfe with True Widow
Iconic drone-metal-art-folk singer-songwriter makes her Cedar debut, touring with new album Pain is Beauty (Sargent House, Sept 3, 2013), a follow up to her critically acclaimed 2011 release Apokalypsis, and last year's Unknown Rooms: A Collection of Acoustic Songs.
A self-described love letter to nature, many of the new album’s 12 tracks veer in a decidedly more electronic direction than previous recordings, while at the same time capitalizing on Wolfe’s trademark penchant for the morose and otherworldly. As she explains, the album “becomes an exploration of ancestry, how the mythology, landscapes and traditions of our ancestors affect our personalities today.” She continues, “Honesty is what initially drew me to music, and I’ve been more honest and open with myself than ever through these songs. There is peace in truth. There is clarity in solitude. And there is power within simplicity and focus. Love is not always easy. Tormented love is something I understand more than society’s skewed idea of what love should be. Love is indelible, severe, earnest, merciful. To push forward against the odds is to make history”.
Combining drones, post-rock, and shoegaze, tonight's openers True Widow are touring behind new album Circumambulation (July 23, Relapse Records).
This summer, keep your cool inside the newly air-conditioned Cedar!
Ticket options and info
- On sale date: now
- Phone: 612-338-2674 ext 0 between 12 noon and 4pm ($2 fee per ticket)
- In person: From a Cedar volunteer in the front lobby during events (no fee; cash, check, credit card), Depth of Field (no fee; cash or check only), or Electric Fetus (approximately $2 fee)
- Online: Ticketweb (typically $2--$3 fee/ticket) (click on red Buy Tickets button at top of this page)
- The Cedar is an all ages venue
- Students with ID, seniors over 65, and children under 12 may purchase tickets at a discount at the door.