Foghorn Stringband with The Cactus Blossoms
Portland’s Foghorn String Band stands at the top of today’s vibrant old-time music revival and a fine example of what an unending revival it is. Each album finds them deeper into the tradition, more familiar with the rich resources of roots music, and more focused, but still propelled by that undercurrent of punk energy. (Art Menius, WMMT)
Foghorn Stringband play the old way, the way you’d have heard stringbands play on Southern radio stations back in the 1930s. They don’t fancy up the music to make it more modern, instead they reach into the heart of the songs, pulling out the deep emotions that made them so enduring in the first place. Performing live, these multi- instrumentalists gather around a single microphone in the middle of the stage, expertly balancing their sound on the fly, and creating the rarest of music: songs that are at once wildly virtuosic and intimately hand-crafted. Foghorn Stringband play American roots music of the finest order.
Opening tonight will be kindred spirits The Cactus Blossoms, bringing authentic, lonesome country music from a bygone era into the modern day, grit intact.
Ticket options and info
- On sale date: now
- Phone: 612-338-2674 ext 0 between 12 noon and 4pm ($2 fee per ticket)
- In person: From a Cedar volunteer in the front lobby during events (no fee; cash, check, credit card), Depth of Field (no fee; cash or check only), or Electric Fetus (approximately $2 fee)
- Online: Ticketweb (typically $2--$3 fee/ticket) (click on red Buy Tickets button at top of this page)
- The Cedar is an all ages venue
- Students with ID, seniors over 65, and children under 12 may purchase tickets at a discount at the door.