Vieux Farka Touré with Morley
Malian guitar ace returns to The Cedar stage with brilliant new album Mon Pays (Six Degrees, May 28), a moving tribute to his home country Mali, torn asunder by territorial fighting between Tuareg and Islamic rebels since January 2012.
Vieux is devoted to reminding the world about the beauty and culture of his homeland. ‘For me it is a statement for the world that this land is for the sons and daughters of Mali, not for Al Qaeda or any militants. This land is for peace and beauty, rich culture and tolerance.This is our heritage, what we must always fight to protect in any way that we can. For me, that means making music that reminds the world of who we are.’
Translating as ‘My Country,’ the predominantly acoustic album had been planned before the invasions began. Inspired by his work with Israeli pianist and vocalist Idan Raichel, Touré initially went into a Bamako studio to honor the acoustic blues tradition of Northern and Southern Mali. Since then, Mon Pays transformed into an artifact of cultural preservation.
‘The Islamists in the north are not true Muslims,’ Vieux stresses. ‘They are militant groups that are only interested in their own power. They are hypocrites. Banning music was another way to control the people. Music for us is life. When we have no music, it is like we have no life. Without music we are robbed of our identity.’
Socially conscious, and always soulful New York-based singer Morley opens.
This summer, keep your cool inside at the newly air-conditioned Cedar!
Ticket options and info
- On sale date: now
- Phone: 612-338-2674 ext 0 between 12 noon and 4pm ($2 fee per ticket)
- In person: From a Cedar volunteer in the front lobby during events (no fee; cash, check, credit card), Depth of Field (no fee; cash or check only), or Electric Fetus (approximately $2 fee)
- Online: Ticketweb (typically $2--$3 fee/ticket) (click on red Buy Tickets button at top of this page)
- The Cedar is an all ages venue
- Students with ID, seniors over 65, and children under 12 may purchase tickets at a discount at the door.