Tinariwen with The Melodic
Let's get one thing straight: Tinariwen is just about the best guitar-based rock band of the 21st century. (NPR)
Grammy-winning Saharan blues band Tinariwen embark on a bold new leg of their incessant roaming and performing with the release of their new album Emmaar (Feb 11, 2014). Emmaar represents a return to their roots, delivering stripped-down dirges, effervescent anthems, and above all, simplicity and honesty. Due to political instability in Mali, the band recorded away from their homeland for the first time, setting up shop in another desert: Joshua Tree, California.
Recorded over three weeks in a studio built in a house in a region known for spaced-out rock ‘n’ roll and psychedelic cowboy folk, Emmaar has an organic feel, from the rolling hand drums and meandering guitars of album opener “Toumast Tincha” chants through to the galloping beats of the forward-marching “Chaghaybou.” On Emmaar, Tinariwen tells the world of the trials of their people and the plight of their families. “The ideals of the people have been sold cheap, my friends / A peace imposed by force is bound to fail / And gives way to hatred,” Eyadou Ag Leche sings on “Toumast Tincha.”
A group of American musicians also appear on the new album. Tinariwen were accompanied by Red Hot Chili Peppers guitarist Josh Klinghoffer, Matt Sweeney from Chavez, Nashville fiddler Fats Kaplin, and poet Saul Williams, adding to the layers of atmospheric textures and gritty guitar-work.
English folk roots band The Melodic open.
Ticket options and info
- On sale date: now
- Phone: 612-338-2674 ext 0 between 12 noon and 4pm ($2 fee per ticket)
- In person: From a Cedar volunteer in the front lobby during events (no fee; cash, check, credit card), Depth of Field (no fee; cash or check only), or Electric Fetus (approximately $2 fee)
- Online: Ticketweb (typically $2--$3 fee/ticket) (click on red Buy Tickets button at top of this page)
- The Cedar is an all ages venue
- Students with ID, seniors over 65, and children under 12 may purchase tickets at a discount at the door.