Organizational Mission: To promote inter-cultural appreciation and understanding through the presentation of global music and dance. The Cedar is committed to artistic excellence and integrity, diversity of programming, support for emerging artists, and community outreach.
Start Date: January 2017
Hourly Wage: Negotiable, Commensurate with experience
The Cedar, a 501(c)3 nonprofit arts organization located in the Cedar Riverside neighborhood of Minneapolis, seeks a Volunteer Coordinator and Events Assistant who will work as part of the front-of-house Events Team. The primary responsibility of this position will be to ensure adequate and effective volunteer staffing for all Cedar events and activities. This person will reimagine and revamp The Cedar’s 28-year old Volunteer Program to meet the needs and leverage the assets of the organization today and of our current community. This is a unique opportunity for a candidate with customer service and/or volunteer support experience with an interest in music and interculturalism to be a part of an ambitious and growing organization doing groundbreaking work in arts and culture. This is a new position for the organization that has room for growth and adjustments.
Volunteer Program Development and Oversight | 20-25 hours/week
- Manage and oversee The Cedar’s Volunteer Program, including recruiting, training, scheduling, supervising, and communicating with event volunteers to ensure sufficient and effective staffing for all Cedar events and activities
- Restructure the Volunteer Program for maximum impact and efficiency including exploring new, innovative ideas for filling volunteer shifts
- Explore and leverage available tools to streamline the efficiency of the Volunteer Program such as online sign up systems, hour tracking, and use of social media for improved communication
- Revamp and implement a new volunteer training approach
- With the Marketing and Communications Team, brainstorm and implement marketing strategies to recruit new volunteers and build the reputation of The Cedar’s Volunteer Program
- Steward current volunteers, including coordinating regular volunteer appreciation events
- Ensure volunteers are included, recognized, and positioned as a key part of The Cedar’s identity by incorporating volunteers into programming and organizational communications
Events Assistant/House Manager | 15-20 hours/week
- Train and supervise a team of volunteers in variety of tasks
- Respond to customer concerns
- Maintain a safe environment for volunteers, staff, and patrons
- Ensure security of the building
- Support crowd control
Financial Transaction and Reconciliation
- Oversee and manage all points of purchase
- Complete end-of-event accounting, including balancing sales reports
- Oversee ticket, concession, and merchandise sales
- Operate the cash register
- Oversee set up and clean up for events
QUALIFICATIONS and SKILLS
The candidate will have excellent interpersonal communication skills with the willingness and ability to work under pressure. We seek an individual with a strong work ethic who has the ability to take direction and work independently. The Cedar is committed to cultural and racial equity, both in its programming and in its internal operations. The candidate will demonstrate patience and cultural competence in order to successfully work with groups and individuals from a diversity of backgrounds. Specific requirements include:
- 18 years of age or older
- Experience cashiering, balancing cash drawers, and reconciling accounts
- Experience in customer service
- Ability to perform and prioritize multiple tasks
- Experience in supervision and management, particularly with volunteers
- Interest in music and the arts
- Commitment to and interest in intercultural understanding and equity
- Experience working with social media applications
Send a résumé, cover letter, and wage requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Volunteer Coordinator and Events Assistant application from <your first and last name>” in the subject line.
Position is open until filled. Only those whose applications are being considered will be contacted.
Thank you for your interest in working at The Cedar!
Download PDF: 2016 Volunteer Coordinator and Events Assistant